(dinner from Stephanie)
Our lives have been made immeasurably easier by our friends bringing us food and company during these last few months. Scratch that. Make that this whole last year. After Amy set us up with a meal list last time around I was certainly not expecting another go-round only a year later. But a couple of PreK moms put together a website using this free calendar system and then badgered me for names. I felt bad, but not bad enough to not ask my friends, yet again, to feed us.
Who knew how long I would end up being in Florida (Paul got was well-fed in my absence) or that we would be housebound for two weeks with crazy weather? There are few things better than a good meal to help people feel cared for-- especially if it's food that they like (and we loved all of it).
The calendar worked great. People could sign up at their leisure, make changes, or check for any updated information. If you're looking to help friends in need, this is the way to go. Another family from Sam's school is dealing with a long-term illness and every month a different batch of people sign up for meals using this system. They even type in the sort of food they'll be bringing so that they're not doubling up too much. That is love. So, in the spirit of such love:
Tips for Making Best Friends for Life
- I cannot tell you how great it is to recieve food in containers that can be recycled or kept. Mason jars, tin pans, cardboard boxes lined in parchement paper... all these things make life so much easier during the aftermath.
- Favourite take-out works quite nicely if you're not up for the cooking
- Bringing food that can be cooked and eaten or thrown in the freezer for the next day is a great idea. Leftovers are a life-saver. You may want to avoid bringing things that are already frozen.
- Don't automatically think lasagna/pasta if you're cooking for vegetarians (shut up, Hula. We loved your lasagna. I'm not talking to you). Beans, soup, soba noodles, falafel, calzones, casseroles... you know the drill.
- Throwing in a couple of pieces of fruit is a very good plan.
- Finally... The Grocery Delivery Option. You can make pretty much anybodies day with grocery delivery. It also makes a kickass shower gift. Because getting to the grocery store can get tricky (see below).