The Pink is done. Turns out, I am very down with paper piecing.
The white is Kona (bone or snow, I can't remember) and the in between sashing was done with a diagonal grey gingham from Moda's Sunkissed line. The binding is a tiny grey and white stripe from the same line and I love them both very much. The backing was a gift from Mariko and is Munki Munki, back when it came in poplin at 54" wide (I could be wrong). I love good, wide, quilt appropriate fabric. I hope that's a coming trend from textile manufacturers. I had to piece it at the end with strips of fabric from the front. The finished product measures approximately 53" by 76" (I added a bit of width to all the sashing strips). The pattern is a free download from Free Spirit Fabric and accompanied the Hope Valley line by Denyse Schmidt.
It is a gift for my neice. My nephew was the recipient of this one, which I'm told is holding up just fine. If I were to do anything different, it would be to add more quilting. I marked the quilt lines in zigzags using a water soluble pen, staggering them from 1-3" a part. But, you know, quilting gets old after a while! I probably should have made all the lines about 1" from each other. I think it will be all right though, and next time I'll quilt it more thoroughly.
I might make this pattern again. It's such a good way to use up novelty fabric without the finished product looking all kitchy or crazy (which I also like, but not all the time).
edited: a few tips and tricks here.
**Book Update: I've been sewing more and reading a little less, but I did manage to finish The Uncommon Reader (Allan Bennet) which was perfect bedtime reading-- fast, clever, and nothing controversial enough to keep me up at night. Eating Animals qualifies for half of that list, so I just read that one in bits during the day.