August and September have become the put up months in my life. I guess they have always been this way, since as children, we all helped my family take care of summer foods. I freeze the earlier summer berries, but the stuff I like to can comes at the end of the growing season-- and the last two years (especially) things are coming in later and later. This year I'm skipping some of the whole tomatoes and trying pasta sauce instead. I suppose I thought I would just *make* sauce from the whole tomatoes, but that didn't happen as often as I liked, and my small people (who eat a lot of noodles and sauce) like consistency in this arena. So far, so awesome. The recipe, like so many good things, comes by way of Jennifer.
Besides that, there have been lots of salsa, some peaches, pears, and finally fruit butters with the remnants. There is a little jam, and there have been A LOT of pickles. August and I can finish a quart in a day, which, besides being gastro-unwise, means I need to Plan Ahead for heavy consumption. There has also been a fussy camera and a broken lens.
I should be done with apples (and their sauce) by the beginning of next month and I'm planning a return to serious sewing. So. I had my machine serviced, and my scissors and pinking sheers sharpened. I started pulling out books and patterns at night to Make a Super Awesome List.
- I am so super stoked about Sarai Mitnick's forthcoming book, The Colette Sewing Handbook. The quality and integrity of Colette patterns is really something special-- and even when the style is most definitely, not mine, I'm still drawn to the great lines and construction. She also released three new patterns that are going on the post-baby list. I love me a boat-neck.
- Oh, the baby. There will be some baby sewing, I suppose. We're going to find out if it's a boy or girl, and I'm going to get really serious about sewing with knits. I feel like this would be easier if I got a hold of some Nani Iro Double Knit-- this one, maybe?
- I just received Shelly's new book, Sewing for Boys! I'll have some projects up from it next Saturday. It's a good one.
- There is a series of quilts that I'm working on-- or working through, more like-- and after coming out of a slump with them I'm think I'm back on the right track. Or some kind of track. I'll let you know.
- There will also be a new tablecloth before Christmas.
Back to boiling pot of water. Do you have one?
(What's up 95 degrees?? You had your chance in July and you blew it. September is no time to try and make it right.)