I made this quilt this summer, fitting in sewing and pressing (and so much cutting during) the hour or two between dinner's end and bedtime's start. I knew it's recipient liked space and stars, the colour purple, flowers, and LIVING LARGE in her own 5 year-old way. Space fabric, by the way, is really tricky if you are looking to avoid robots. I pieced the back with strips of polka dots and Lizzie House's constellation and moon phase fabric. I really like that whole line, but came to it late and so I had to scramble around a bit to find what I needed.
The blocks were constructed with foundation piecing. I cut the purple squares, marked a line on each of them where my first strip of fabric was to go, and then pieced the rest of the strips to the block, cutting the strip ends away to match the original square. I will tell you one thing-- this is another example of why I should not be left to my own devices when it comes to quilt math. Or math in general. Or perhaps even counting.
I neglected to calculate how big the total block (four purple squares together) would be in relation to my targeted finished dimensions. It is a rookie mistake-- and one I make repeatedly. Still, this turned out exactly how I had hoped, and maybe even a little better, despite the size discrepancy. While I was strip piecing the blocks, I tried to turn off my brain and just pick randomly from my pile of strips. I did have a few rules: try putting in at least one dark blue/navy print, use orange sparingly, etc. The real payoff for a scrappy quilt like this is seeing the sum of all its parts (whether or not your immediately stoked on all the parts initially). It is good quilt-heart medicine.
(both photos by the wonderful Posy Quarterman)